santamariamaggiore- santamariamaggiore-

Chapel of the Crucifix

The Chapel of the Relics, also known as Chapel of the Crucifix, was rebuilt as part of substantial changes made by architect Fuga on the occasion of the Holy Year of 1750. It is thus chronologically the most recent of the Basilica’s chapels. Decorated with ten columns made of porphyry, it is entirely covered in marble. Two niches in yellow marble conceal two coffers in which precious reliquaries are kept. The wooden crucifix above the altar dates back to the first half of the 1400s.